Corrupting the environment
A virtual dialogue series hosted by the Basel Institute on Governance and OECD
The covid-19 pandemic highlights our global society’s vulnerability to the consequences of environmental degradation – a crisis supercharged by the global illicit trade in environmental goods, weak governance and corruption.
Harnessing our collective expertise in combating these areas, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development and the Basel Institute on Governance are jointly hosting a series of virtual dialogues exploring creative solutions to burning issues of environmental degradation through the lens of financial crime and illicit trade. Entitled “Corrupting the Environment”, the event series brings together thought leaders among government, private industry and civil society.
Read more about the background to this series in this blog by Green Corruption Team Leader Juhani Grossmann: Lighting the path ahead at the intersection of environmental degradation, illicit trade and corruption
We welcome the active participation of a wide range of stakeholders in the upcoming series. For comments, suggestions or requests to participate in the panel discussions, please contact email@example.com.
Session 7: Ear to the ground: first-hand insights into what Indonesians think about environmental corruption
The Basel Institute on Governance and Lembaga Survei Indonesia, the leading Indonesian pollster, jointly conducted 1) a household survey and 2) interviews with business representatives in July 2021. The aim of the research was to establish respondent's attitude to corruption in the fisheries, plantation/forestry, mining and waste sectors. Join as at the webinar to explore the key findings arising from the research.
18 August 2021, 13:00 CET
- 0: Launch event: 9 December 2020 – read summary
- 1: Illicit trade and natural resources: 27 January 2021 – read summary and see video clips
- 2: Transparency and accountability in mineral supply chains: 23 February 2021 - read summary
- 3: Connecting the dots: Tracing funds from environmental crimes: 17 March 2021 - read summary and watch the full webinar on YouTube
- 4: Applying behavioural insights to fight green corruption: 14 April 2021 – read summary and watch the full webinar on YouTube
- 5: Online marketplaces and sale of environmental products: 12 May 2021 - read summary and watch the full webinar on YouTube
- 6: Corruption risks in waste management: 1 July 2021 - read summary and watch the full webinar on YouTube