CoSP 10 events on environmental corruption
This year's Conference of the States Parties to the UNCAC (CoSP10) is hosting a series of events on environmental corruption as part of a collaboration between several organisations, including the Basel Institute.
The aim is to explore the role of corruption in crimes that affect the environment and the consequences.
These events are freely open to virtual participation via Zoom, as well as in-person participation from CoSP delegates.
Monday 11 December: Special Event on Combating Corruption to Protect the Environment
Gretta Fenner, Managing Director, will moderate this high-level event at 14:00 EST. Panelists from nine countries and organisations will address topics including:
- What is the impact of corruption in undermining the ability to address crimes that affect the environment, climate change, and challenges related to clean energy and green transitions?
- How does corruption degrade nature and resources that contribute to efforts to conserve biodiversity, address nature crimes, respond to climate change, and facilitate clean energy and green transitions?
- What are challenges in addressing this corruption?
- Why do responses to address these challenges need to be global and involve multi-stakeholders?
- What are some proposed solutions?
Wednesday 13 December: Action Now: Combating Corruption to Protect the Environment
A series of side events on environmental corruption taking place on Wednesday 13 December from 08:00–10:00 and 13:00–15:00 EST.
Look out in particular for an event on "Lessons Learned in Fighting Environmental Corruption" led by our Green Corruption team at 14:00 on Wednesday, 13 December. The session will stake stock of progress in fighting the corruption that drives environmental degradation and the climate crisis. Specifically, the panellists will look at activities that support the resolution adopted at the 8th CoSP on "Preventing and combating corruption as it relates to crimes that have an impact on the environment" (Resolution 8/12).
Working Paper 50: Seedlings of hope: Addressing corruption linked to crimes that impact the environment in line with UNCAC Resolution 8/12
At the 8th session of the Conference of the States Parties to the United Nations Convention…
Seedlings of hope: New report on promising efforts to address environmental corruption
Four years ago, States parties to the UN Convention Against Corruption (UNCAC) committed to a…