Cryptocurrencies and AML compliance training
Learn to prevent, detect and investigate the use of virtual assets for illicit activities
A four-day training course on the fundamentals of cryptocurrencies, financial crime and anti-money laundering (AML) compliance.
Delivered virtually over four 3-hour sessions, the course aims to help practitioners from a wide range of law enforcement, financial and business sectors prevent, detect and investigate the use of cryptocurrencies for illicit activities.
The workshop centres around a practical money laundering case scenario, in which participants will investigate the “cleaning” of stolen assets for integration into the financial system by tracing transactions through the blockchain.
Policymakers, regulators and investigative journalists will also benefit from the comprehensive introduction to virtual assets and blockchain analysis, due diligence and risk management.
- Target audience: This course is open to all professionals, law enforcement officers and students seeking to navigate the world of virtual assets and financial crime. It is popular among investigators, prosecutors, members of Financial Intelligence Units, lawyers, AML/CFT and compliance professionals, FinTech/RegTech practitioners, and investigative journalists.
- Participants: 5 to 30.
- Delivery method: Instructor-led course delivered virtually via video conference and the Basel Institute’s LEARN platform. The course combines presentations, group discussions and practical exercises.
- Costs: CHF 750 per person. Reduced rate of CHF 300 for members of public-sector, multilateral, non-profit and academic organisations, plus independent journalists.
- Language: English.
- Timing: Three hours per day over four consecutive days.
- Certificate: Provided to participants who attend for the full duration of the course.
Availability and dates
- 04–07 December 2023 (15:00–18:30 CET) – REGISTER HERE
The courses take place in 3.5-hour virtual sessions over four days, with a half-hour break.
- To request the discounted rate (see conditions above), please complete this form. We will get back to you shortly to determine eligibility and provide you with a discount code for the payment system.
- You may pay the full amount upon registration using any major credit card. If you are unable to pay by credit card, please complete this form to request an invoice for payment via bank transfer.
- Registration implies you accept the full terms and conditions of the course, available to download here.
- Private courses for your company or organisation are also possible. Please contact us to discuss specific needs, timings, languages and fees.
What does the course cover?
Over four days, participants will explore:
- Introduction to cryptocurrencies. This module unpacks the meaning and scope of terms like “cryptocurrency”, “virtual asset” and “distributed ledger technology (DLT)”. It also explores how and why these technologies emerged.
- Crypto 101 – addresses, keys and transactions. How does the Bitcoin network operate and what are the functions of public key cryptography, hash functions and digital signatures? Participants will also learn how to generate and manage Bitcoin addresses.
- The blockchain and mining. How are transactions stored in the blockchain and validated and secured by miners?
- Blockchain analysis. How can you monitor transactions in real time and which are the most appropriate software tools? This module also explores the techniques criminals use to stay anonymous.
- Due diligence. This module offers a crucial insight into how financial intermediaries can adapt traditional AML/CFT programmes to new payment methods.
- Risk-based management. Adapting risk management frameworks to clients, assets and transactions involving virtual assets requires both legal and technical skills. What are some best practices and information sources?
- Seizure and confiscation: How different is it to seize and confiscate crypto assets? How do you take possession, secure and later manage a crypto wallet? Which are the critical steps involved? This presentation, through theory and practical examples, will answer those questions and much more.